Literary Chocolate

"If I could, I'd bathe in chocolate." ~Dove Dark Chocolate wrapper

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, United States

Thirty-something, happily married with two cats.

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Giving

One of my blog buddies - www.keeperofthechocolates.blogspot.com has recently reminded us all what's most important. That is, to love those around us by giving. To care for the widowed and orphans. While it's an excellent thing to give all year round, let's especially be reminded of this at Christmas. Instead of complaining about the Reindeer sweater we got from Aunt Nancy or the turkey dinner that's too dry to swallow, let's be thankful for our blessings and remember others. Choose an organization and give! What a wonderful thing to do!

My friend suggests World Vision (www.worldvision.org). My husband and I give to Compassion (www.compassion.com) by supporting a little girl in Ethiopia. Honestly, it's one of the best, most important things I do in my life.

So, visit the above blog site or one of the many charity organizations and make a difference!

4 Comments:

Blogger shelbi said...

thank you so much for joining with me on this little vision .... and a very big hug and ton of chocolate kisses to you on your birthday! (belated ;))

hugs to you today!
shelbi

8:57 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Thanks so much, Shelbi! I appreciate the birthday wishes. :) Hope you are well.

3:05 PM  
Blogger JasonB said...

I'm so glad to see that you are blogging again! I really enjoy your posts, whether it is once a week, once a month or twice a year. :)

Thanks for this post. It's a great reminder. I think I'm getting weary of pointless gifts at Christmas. Not that gifts aren't good for expressing our love to each other. However, I won't endure the sense of obligation we often feel to give a pair of socks to people just so they won't think bad of us. Ugh... that doesn't feel much like Christmas to me.

Krista and I have trimmed down our gift-giving this year and have tried to give to organizations in people's names. For example, my dad is getting a gift from us, but we also gave to a disabled vets organization in his name since he is a veteran. So we are buying fewer gifts, and taking the difference to organizations like you mentioned. Here are some that we have decided on and feel very connected to their mission:

International Justice Mission
http://www.ijm.org

World Vision
http://worldvision.org

Blood Water Mission
http://www.bloodwatermission.com

8:29 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Thanks, Jason. I appreciate your comment and your encouragement. I'm so glad to hear that you are giving charitable gifts this year. I too get weary of the senseless giving. It just seems like a distraction from the real meaning of Christmas sometimes. I'm thrilled with the idea of focusing on a more positive and meaningful shift of giving during the holidays.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home