Literary Chocolate

"If I could, I'd bathe in chocolate." ~Dove Dark Chocolate wrapper

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, United States

Thirty-something, happily married with two cats.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

God Bless America!


I'm sitting in a Coptic church on a hard pew. Strange noises surround me, something like chanting or singing. I'm not sure. Incense swirls around me, overtaking me, making me nauseous. And I have diarrhea. It's not the kind of diarrhea that sends you running to the nearest toilet. No, it's the kind that makes no announcement. It simply arrives. I'm dying.


"We should go to Egypt." My husband says. Although he is of Egyptian descent, he has never been, and this might just be the best time to go before he starts college for his second masters. I agree. I'm excited. I've never wanted to go, but why not! Sure, we just got back from Europe, but seize the day, right? Be adventurous!


My too long stint in Egypt has been chalked up to an "experience." I'm grateful for the opportunity - don't get me wrong. Hey- I can say I've been to Africa!! My passport has the stamp to prove it! Kinda cool.


But, let me tell you. This place did not agree with me. I think I'm allergic to Africa. No joke! I was careful not to drink the water, but that didn't prevent the vomiting or the diarrhea that arrived every other day.


I didn't think I'd have a problem with the culture. I mean, I've experienced it for ten years now. I've been in my husband's family for that long. But, my in-laws are American-Egyptian. The way they cook has been adjusted to healthy living. However, it seems that Egypt doesn't have a grasp on healthy living yet. Tons of butter is used in their food. Lots of fat is good. Organic - what's that? "Eat! Eat!" They tell me. I don't want to.


In their beautiful malls you will see "no smoking" signs and directly below that you will find people bolding smoking. And a few feet away you will notice a security guard looking the other way. It's really infuriating!


They don't have emission laws so it's hard to get a clean breath over there. It also doesn't rain one single day in the summer so the air is filled with dust, not to mention every surface you touch.


Laws are not enforced, especially traffic laws. It's a "me first" mentality. I can't tell you how many times I noticed people going the wrong way on a highway, and sometimes I was in that car (or taxi) going the wrong way.


With all this said, I'm grateful to be home. To see the vivid colors and beautiful contrasts in nature. To breathe clean air - even the clear air of New Jersey!! I'm happy to have laws and see them enforced. To be in a quieter, less chaotic environment. Thank you, God!!





2 Comments:

Blogger shelbi said...

so nice of you stop in and say hello :) it is always so nice to meet other chocolate lovers...please do come by anytime! your blog is beautiful...and you are so fortunate to be traveling...what a dream of mine :)

7:06 PM  
Blogger soralis said...

There's no place like home

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home