Literary Chocolate

"If I could, I'd bathe in chocolate." ~Dove Dark Chocolate wrapper

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, United States

Thirty-something, happily married with two cats.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Lead infestation


Lead. It's everywhere these days. I just don't get it. How does this happen? First it's our toys; things our precious little ones put in their mouths. They teeth on them, they love them, and they trust us to keep them safe and healthy. What are we to do?

Now it's in our lipstick. I was shocked to learn that L'Oreal - my favorite lipstick - has high amounts of lead in their lipstick and it can cause infertility. Is this why I'm infertile? I've worn lipstick for many years, only having a sneaking suspicion that it could contain something reproductive prohibiting. But, I dismissed this gnawing feeling, not wanting to be too paranoid as I had already examined every facet of my life from night light (light coming into your bedroom at night) to soy-laden foods to cleaning products. When watching the news report on lead-laden lipstick, I discovered that it was only present in red lipstick. Still not comforting.

Another report came out this morning on a particular Curious George doll that has been recalled due to lead paint on the face. Not "Curious George!" I thought. I have all the Curious George books and several Curious George dolls I plan on passing down to my children someday.

As we prepare to adopt our child, I am mentally preparing for war. What kind of toys will I give my children? Will I have to make them myself? Or should I go to a special store? I know there are special toy stores out there. Hmmmmm. . . . These are options.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home