Literary Chocolate

"If I could, I'd bathe in chocolate." ~Dove Dark Chocolate wrapper

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, United States

Thirty-something, happily married with two cats.

Friday, August 18, 2006

World Trade Center

My husband and I went to see the movie, World Trade Center. I was reluctant to see it for obvious reasons. I didn't really feel like getting depressed. Who really wants to relive one of the greatest tragedies of our time? But, my husband assured me, "No, this one has a message of hope!" Okay, fine. I'll see it.

I have to say, it was well done. It was a true account of two police officers who had been through hell trying to save others. I was on the edge of my seat wondering what they were getting at. Was one of them going to die? Was this story told from the survivor's perspective? I cringed watching the emotional battle that the wives and families went through. Through most of the movie there was a tennis ball in my throat screaming to let loose. I was uncomfortable at the thought of the anguish that these people went through awaiting word of their loved ones fate. By the end of the movie, I was wiping tears off my chin, and it wasn't just me! I heard sniffles echoing around the theater, and could see that the eighteen year old next to me who had been text messaging at the beginning of the movie was now also wiping tears off her chin.

As interesting as it was to me and many others to understand more deeply what actually went on in the lives of those closely linked to this tragedy, I had to wonder - what about the families of the deceased who watched this movie? How do they feel? Does it help them to see this tragedy played out on the big screen? Does it drive a knife through their heart to see people walk away from that disaster while their loved one did not? I have to wonder.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think once you've lost someone close, you relate even more to others losses. Having lost 2 brothers, my grief gets restimulated easily and I have more compassion for other people's grief. I feel reluctant to see this movie too, although I probably will eventually. Thanks for the review, for visiting my blog, and sharing your story.

5:39 AM  
Blogger soralis said...

I don't think I could watch that movie. Glad to hear that it was well done.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home