Literary Chocolate

"If I could, I'd bathe in chocolate." ~Dove Dark Chocolate wrapper

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, United States

Thirty-something, happily married with two cats.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

I'm not worthy

My husband's best friend and wife visited this weekend. I was excited to take my mind off my own preoccupations and prepare for some fun. I made a lasagna that took me much longer than anticipated to cook. I hadn't made it in 6 years or so and I had to find a recipe and shop for the ingredients after work. We ate around 9pm. I hate eating that late! Well, it turned out really good - much better than I had expected. Everyone enjoyed it.

The next morning I really wanted to make something quick but special for our guests so I made Banana bread (quick bread). I decided as a little treat to add some chocolate chips (of course). Note to self: Do not add chocolate chips to quickbread until it has cooked awhile. They all sunk to the very bottom. I had a plate full of chocolate sludge, none of which absorbed into the bread at all.

That afternoon at 3pm we went to an engagement party, a party of which we were not officially invited. Well, our friends got the e-vite, but we did not. Note to public: E-vites, in my opinion, should be followed up with a phone call esp. for the older generation which does not check e-mail even if they have an account. Anyway, we did not receive an e-vite, but through the communication of a relative with the bethrothed, it was assumed we were just forgotten. Our e-vite did not get lost in cyberspace, we were just forgotten. Hmmmm. . . well, that feels a little depressing. We went anyway to crash the party and no one said a single word about not inviting us or "why the heck are you here?" or "so sorry we didn't send you the e-vite. We just forgot." Nothing.

The rest of the night was spent visiting with people from my husband's family or meeting friends of their family I hadn't yet met. One thing you should know: There is not one car salesman, janitor or legal secretary in the crowd. They are one of four things: A doctor/dentist, an engineer, an accountant or a grad student pursuing one of the three. I am an employee at a school (not a teacher) who holds a bachelor's degree in English. That's it! Everytime I'm around these people, I feel inspired to go back to school. I discussed this with my husband (let's call him "Jack"). The two fields I would be interested in are English or Speech pathology. Problem: English - what am I going to do with that degree? And Speech Pathology would take a full 6 years part time to complete since my undergrad is in another field. Jack says the problem is he thinks I just want to get a degree to get a degree. He's right. It's a pride thing. But, I also want to do it for enrichment and stimulation. I don't know the answer to this dilemna. I want to make the best decision but neither seems right at the moment.

1 Comments:

Blogger Michele Burley said...

Hey Samantha,
If you really don't want to be a teacher or a speech pathologist, think about this: Schools and districts need good "storytellers" to provide those NOT in schools with the challenges and inspiring things that ARE happening in our schools. School communities are not particularly good at tooting their own horn (I can't believe I used such a stodgy cliche when writing an English person--sheesh!). You might consider a communications position in a school...tell their stories. Speaking from my (and many schools') position, we could use an advocate. Someone to write with a voice that will persuade those with the purse strings to make decisions to truly benefit all kids...(okay, I'll get off my soapbox)
Also--loved the banana bread story--I can relate--once I made "stew" and substituted wine vinegar for wine (as well as a bunch of other substitutions)and the stew turned out so bad(it literally stunk) we had to BURY IT (true story!)Have a nice night:)
Michele

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home