Literary Chocolate

"If I could, I'd bathe in chocolate." ~Dove Dark Chocolate wrapper

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northeast, United States

Thirty-something, happily married with two cats.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

A warning for pet owners

We have a beautiful fenced in yard at our new house and from time to time our sweet little kitties are let outside for some supervised play time. They love to chew on the grass and hop along the bottom edge of the fence looking for a hole by which they could escape.

Our neighbors, who have a dog, have advised us that our area is prone to ticks. Their dog will return home after a period of romping in the woods with a few ticks. So, they have taken precautions and used a squeeze on gel that you put between the shoulder blades of your pet.

Although my cats only walk in the well mowed lawn of our backyard and do not romp through the woods, I thought it would still be a good idea to take protective measures.

I went to our local PetSmart with a list of kitty needs, one of which was flea and tick protection. I perused the unfamiliar aisles until I found the overabundant selection of flea collars, gels and sprays. Finally, I picked up two - one organic and one not organic. Holding up the two boxes, I inspected their labels for ingredients and usage. It was in this stance that I stood for the next fifteen minutes until a salesman came over and asked if I needed help. He must have seen my confusion or perhaps he thought I was trying to shoplift. I'm not sure.

After much discussion, he assured me the organic would be fine if that was my preference, that it was safe and that it should perform the same as the nonorganic product. I bought the organic (Sentry Natural Defense).

A few days later, at around 10:30 at night, I decided it was time to apply the squeeze-on gel to my little sweeties. My husband held kitty number one while I parted the hair and squeezed. At first, she jerked and soon after bolted through the house like she was on fire. I watched in horror as she licked herself and jumped around, tongue hanging out.

This is where I'm not too smart, but I thought - what one cat gets, the other cat gets. We grabbed baby number two and in the same way, applied the fiery gel to her back. Likewise, she ran through the house, tail twitching, eyes bulging, tongue hanging out.

We watched the two of them, out of control, as they experienced the torture we inflicted upon them. As we watched, their suffering increased. They were panting, racing around, hiding, licking, jumping and drooling. My heart broke to watch my two little ones in such pain! I had no choice but to call the emergency number on the Sentry box. The operator asked me about their symtpoms and instructed me to drain the juice from a tuna can, dilute it with water and let them drink it. Well, as someone who hates seafood, I had no tuna in my pantry.

Not much is open at 11pm except our local CVS store. I walked frantically into the store and asked the closest clerk, "Do you sell tuna?"

"Oh, yes. It's in aisle 14a." He replied.

You've got to be kidding me! CVS sells tuna? I offered a quick thank you to God that I didn't have to drive all over town to find a store that was open after hours and sold tuna. I drove like mad back home and quickly did as the operator had told me.

Our kitties loved it! And I have to say, it did work quite well. However, I still saw how frustrated they were everytime they licked their backs. (They can reach quite far. Flexible little critters they are!) After about another hour, I decided I had to do something. I had to give them a bath.

Now, if you've ever tried to bathe a cat, you know that it doesn't work. Cats don't like water. It's not like I didn't know this. I just didn't think it would be so hard.

I shut the bathroom door, got a pitcher, pulled back the curtain, grabbed the closest cat and prepared for a battle. She was strong, but I was stronger - or should I say 'smarter'? When she had clawed her way out of the bathtub for the sixth time, I decided to move the rug and pour water over her on the floor.

Once both of them had their bath, were towel dried and my heart was thoroughly broken, I set about going to bed. By this time it was 1am, and the house was filled with the smell of fear and this organic toxin that reminded me of those hot cinnamon hearts you eat at Valentine's day - but more potent. I had learned my lesson. Sometimes organic isn't better and I will never apply this poison to my kitties again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home